Sunday, September 11, 2022

Rheview #12 Daylight (2015): we can't get everything, and that's reality

Hi!

More than a year passed since I haven't posted any rheviews. Well, I've been watching several movies, but my laziness comes as usual. But now, I hope I can regularly write more rheviews, as I want to practice my writing, since I work in an international research environment now, which uses English in meetings. 

For this week, I managed to finish reading "Daylight" by Robin Wijaya, which I buy impulsively along with 5-6 other books in sale when I'm in Perpustakaan Universitas Indonesia, Depok. I haven't read any of those books, until this week. Without further ado, so let's get started to do a 30 minutes rheview!



Intros

Daylight is a first-person perspective novel, with Gabriel/Gabe as the main character, who is also a person the perspective is shared in the book. Gabe is a businessman who loves cooking, a lot. His marriage with the deceased Lily got him a beautiful, smart daughter, Kate (I forgot her actual name). The court decided that Lily owns her custody regarding Lily, and bring her 3 yearsold daughter to Batam, and furthermore married another man. But an accident happens which took Lily and her husband, leaving Kate as a piatu (momless?) now. Knowing that accident, Gabe took Lily from her grandparents in Batam, and brought her to Bandung, where he owns his cafe. 

Meanwhile, this actually happened at the same time as Gabe's dream was about going to come true. Gabe got accepted to a cooking competition after 2 years of waiting. The competition was held in Jakarta, and Gabe have to leave Kate if he want to continue to pursue his dream, which Gabe do, after ask his girlfriend, Amanda, to keep an eye on Kate. 

Long story short, Kate was kidnapped which made Gabe resign from the competition--his dream--to find Kate--his responsibility. 

Moral of the story

1. Everything, literally, come at its cost. We can't voraciously took every opportunity and win them all. We need to sacrifice something, based on our priority list. That's why some people can have different opinion regarding their families, dreams, jobs, hobbies, etc, which are totally affected by their own priority list. 
2. Good parenting is a must. The attachment between Kate and Gabe was really sweet that I might be cried if it was between son and mom. How Gabe treat Kate is somewhat rare in the community that I know. Gabe let Kate decide what she wants, heard her opinions, and made her responsible for her own choices. It really can help children's development, even if Kate is still 6 years old. 
3. Communication is the key. Conflicts between Gabe and Amanda resolves in a good way since Gabe had a good habit of maintaining good communication. He repeatedly asked strange things if he felt something different with Amanda. Even if Amanda rarely talk immediately, Gabe never pushes her to talk, and let her speak when she was ready. 
4. Dream is a thing, but happiness is a must. Even if you'd failed your dream, look around at you. There are families and friends who support you endlessly. You'll get the motivation to rise, and chase that dream again, and again, and again until you can reach it. Well, the novel didn't tell until Gabe reached his dream, but I know he will. Cooking competition is everywhere and every time, while leaving her daughter alone when she needed him the most is a one-time event that will be a big value for both Gabe and Kate. 

Closing

The story itself is really light and easy to read. Emotion's not that strong (might be biased) because it's a dad-daughter relationship, which I can't really relate with. Cooking is also not my hobby (might be biased). So I'll rate this good 6,5/10.🍆🍜

Thank you for your attention. I'm very grateful that you've been rheading this long. I hope I can make another rheview and reduce my unread book on the bookshelf. I planned to write quotes from the novel for the next rheview~ 
Hope you get something from the rheview! Keep rheading and writing anything! 🐽

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rheview #12 Daylight (2015): we can't get everything, and that's reality

Hi! More than a year passed since I haven't posted any rheviews. Well, I've been watching several movies, but my laziness comes as u...