Sunday, April 11, 2021

Rheview #11 Lion (2016): What is a true family?

Well hello~

This week, my homepage was full (I'm exaggerating) of childfree thing. They said it costs more than 3 billion rupiahs to raise A CHILD. Well, that's only for biological needs, and there are too many variables that affect the cost, for example, that's only for Jakarta people. In fact, raising a child also need soooo many stimulations and loves. And 3 billion rupiahs can't pay that (of course it can: you can enroll for PAUD (Early Childhood Education and Development/ECED) for those stimulations and hire a nanny to give them the loves they need).


ANYWAY, speaking of childfree, I remember one movie that also mentioned that thing. It's Lion (2016), an Indian movie that talks about a boy who separated from his biological family and raised by step-parents.

As a previous rheview, I'm just going to comment and make a discussion about things that I find interesting from the movie.

1. We can't blame a child if they want something that illogical. As an adult (or at least someone who aged more), we should think more rational and decide what is tolerable and what's not. We indeed have to hear our child more, but never do something because of pity after seeing our children cry. Everything that we do should be useful for our children. 

2. I really love how Saroo not easily trusts other people. It's something that needs to be taught to our children. He's so much stronger than he should be. He can't (or won't) even cry after so many problems that he encountered. His parents must be really strong to successfully teach him to become that person. Ps: I'm not saying that crying is wrong, though.

3. And, here it comes: Sue. She and his husband are the true angels. I almost fall to think that they're infertile. Since before, I always taught that couples who are married more than a year and still don't get a child = infertile. I feel REALLY bad to ever think that way. I never opened my point of view to think that being a parent is also a choice (at least partially). And I cried when she told Saroo that their reason is to reduce the burden of children who are homeless and orphans: "From the moment you came into our lives, you were all that we could have hoped for." But, now they have a "child," are they still a "childfree?"

4. Jalebi!!@@!#!#@ I want to taste that. This is more like a salty snack in Indonesian, but they said that this is sweet. This jalebi is a door to open past. Saroo was triggered by his past, and this is maybe what we called as a "superego." This superego develops when we were young, that's why it's really hard to change people because their superego was still there. We need to find that superego and changed that to efficiently change someone's personality.


5. This is just a minor point, but the dancing Indian joke was really humorous. Unexpectable. 

6. Aside from this movie theme is "family," I don't think this is family-friendly. There are several improper scenes for children. Furthermore, a child won't get the deep meaning from the entire movie. In the ending, I was prepared for a sad ending, but he finally found his home, and I was prepared for a happy ending. But then he can't find his family at first, but he does! But after that, it finds out that Guddu has died! :( No children is prepared for this twists :( even my heart is unprepared.

7. What I don't like about this movie is that we don't know about how has his college life afterward, and what's his step-parents' job? I mean, how they can raise two orphans and can be still in their own house for the entire day :( I mean, how rich they are :( 

But that downside won't significantly change my rating toward this movie. I still rate this: Rhecommended 8/10👳


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rheview #12 Daylight (2015): we can't get everything, and that's reality

Hi! More than a year passed since I haven't posted any rheviews. Well, I've been watching several movies, but my laziness comes as u...