Saturday, April 3, 2021

Rheview #10 Onward (2020): Never take your surroundings for granted

Good day!

I'd watched this a month ago, and postponed the rheview so I can discuss this first with my friend. BUT, she hasn't watched it until now. So, I thought the best next right thing is to rheview it now, alone, before my memory about this film starting to fade. Anyway, from now on, I'm going to focus more on discussions & moral stories about the movie, rather than synopsis. By doing so, I'm hoping this will render readers to comment and argue about my opinions. Hence, I'm asking people to watch the film first, and then we can discuss~

A short synopsis about this film: A brotherhood (Ian & Barley) is tested when two of them must group up to complete the magic spell in order to rise up his father who already long time dead. 

As the title says onward, so let's ONWARD!
The very first couple of minutes of the movie provides MANY mystical creatures--like trolls, sirens, centaurs, elves--magic, wizards, etc, all of which are in my best interest. I immediately love this background story. 

1. After 24 hours of spending time together with his brother, Ian realizes that he previously took his brother for granted. His journey was intended to search for family (his father), but actually what he seeks already in front of him (his current family, including his brother). This is the scene that makes me cried and think about other people whom I previously took for granted.  

2. Barley (Ian's brother) has a good point about giving chance for people to change, rather than labeled them immediately as a "failure" based on their past mistakes. I'm facing so many conditions that we won't give people another chance to prove that they've changed. 

3. I really love how Ian's mom is really tolerant: when Ian “breaks the rule”, she likes it, since Ian is afraid all the time. It also true how parenting should go: parents should modify their parenting style according to the nature of their children. We can't set "breaking the rule" as the worst violation, since in this case, Ian chooses not to do anything "dangerous." In fact, Ian can never drive a car until finally, he breaks the rule about driving, and eventually, he can drives. 

4. Technology advances make our nature traits slightly decrease over time. And at some point, we can no longer use those traits, since our body will think that those traits are not necessary anymore. For example, our brain is designed to think and technology makes us want to disable that function: we calculate easy things with a calculator, we don't memorize paths (instead we use Google Maps), etc. In a long run, that increases the likelihood of developing dementia, since our brain thinks that we don't need to think anymore. For more information about Alzheimer/dementia, please go check https://alzi.or.id/ . Jangan maklum dengan pikun.


5. On top of that, there's something I don’t like about this movie: Ian suddenly become a wizard master, while in the first sentence of the movie they said that “magic is hard to master.” He can beat a dragon using magic just because of “talent,” while his brother studies all of his time, yet he can't cast anything. This is a bad example of making "talent" more powerful than hard work. 

Okay that's all

Hope you want to discuss something about those five things that I deliver. You can also add more things that interest you.

Rhecommended: 9/10👀👽  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rheview #12 Daylight (2015): we can't get everything, and that's reality

Hi! More than a year passed since I haven't posted any rheviews. Well, I've been watching several movies, but my laziness comes as u...