Sunday, January 24, 2021

Rheview #8 Soul (2020): Between passion and purpose

Hello, welcome back. Thanks for stopping by, I really appreciate it, so I want to give you my never-ending gratitude and love 💜. 

Since the length of the last rheview was really short, I need to compensate for it in here. Well, I acknowledge that reviewing "short movie" doesn't mean it has to be "short" as well. In fact, I got many distractions while I wrote the review. Moreover, I didn't make any bullet points while watching the movie that can keep my arguments clear.

And now, here we go, I hope I don't mess up the following rheview. If you have any comments about my review, ask me to discuss it in English, please 👽. Alright, let's get started!~💨

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Have you ever think about your passion or purpose? Are they already align with your "soul"? To illustrate how "you" connect with your own "soul", Soul can be the best animated Pixar movie that can help you on it. "Soul" can help you to pursue the ideal dream that can act as a sole motivation, and also to realize that we live in realistic reality(?).

At the very beginning of the movie, as usual, Pixar made a unique opening that entertains viewers (or at least me). And at that point, we can immediately know that this movie is about music. I love how this movie depicted Joe who really loves playing the piano which he passionate about. He can zone out from reality to his own "world" by playing that thing. 

Someone who eventually achieves their dreams/targets can hype it out, and forget about their surroundings, and in this movie, Joe really doesn't care about the street, which ends his career. In fact, streets and cities are the most dangerous places, in which many deaths occur there. If I may out of the topic, please take care of your body when you are in the street. Don't focus on your smartphone, or anything else, PLEASE. Okay, thanks for your understanding.

After he "dies", Joe denies it and wants to run away from his destiny, which is "the great beyond". In turn, he dropped to "the great before", and met 22, one of our "ancestors" since I think it's the 22nd soul. After meeting 22, Joe is accompanied to look at "the zone" to see that a passion can turn into an obsession. This is perfectly true. There's a thin barrier between a passion and an obsession, which is a "control". An uncontrolled passion can lead you preoccupied with that thought and drive you crazy. You can go wild and don't even think about everything except your preoccupied thought. 

In "the zone", Joe eventually can come back to the Earth, but in the cat's body, (Yes, Joe "possesses" that poor cat. This is not understandable by logic, but this is an animation anyway, what do I expect? But what bugs me is that the cat's soul was going towards the great beyond and at the end of the movie, that cat rebirth), and 22 "possesses" Joe's body. This is the first time 22 go to the Earth. I'm always thinking 22 will get its spark in its journey on the Earth: pizza, lollipop, tailoring, etc, but no! We can't really know the spark of 22, and that remains a mystery. Even after 22 go to the Earth in a normal way, we still don't know who 22 will become since the credit screen pop up so suddenly. I even watch the credit screen until it ends, hoping that there's an epilogue that reveals 22's human life, but no 😞. I searched the internet for theories "who will 22 become?". But that remains a theory, and I think it's better to make your own speculation to make the movie interesting. 

Another thing that I love (even I like it more than the journey of this "purpose vs passion") is that this movie teaches us how someone's words can really destroy others' life. We can think and feel that our sentences are nothing, but those can actually mean everything to other people. That's why we really need to think before we speak. 

One quote from Joe's friend, the barber, "you never asked, but I'm glad you did this time", implicitly tells us that Joe never asks other's feelings, thoughts, experiences, etc. Even though, that bilateral communication is the main ingredient to make an unbreakable bond of friendship.

Last but not least, we need to face death. We never know when and how our death is, but we can only prepare it. That's why we need to appreciate every second of our life. Don't just think about "good" lives in the future, since we don't even know whether that "future" can be reached. Feel gratitude, express it, thank your parents, hug your friends, pet your pet, etc. Once more, live on your current life.  

Other than that missing cat's soul, I don't think this movie has any flaw. So I would rate this 9/10, very RHECOMMENDED, please watch it now! 😼

End of the rheview...

Thanks for considering reading this rheview, I hope you can enjoy both the review and the movie. Don't forget to ask me right away regarding the movie if you have something to discuss!

Any rhecommended movie that I need to watch and rheview? Please leave a comment!💥😆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rheview #12 Daylight (2015): we can't get everything, and that's reality

Hi! More than a year passed since I haven't posted any rheviews. Well, I've been watching several movies, but my laziness comes as u...